The Week That Was #20 May 12, 2009Posted by Gyaniz in TWTW-The Week that Was.
Tags: Amar Singh, Anna Jarvis, Azam Khan, Ben Southall, Best Job in the World, doping, Jayaprada, Mother's Day, Rabindranath Tagore, Rampur, Richard Gasquet, Roxana Saberi, Samajwadi Party, Splash, Suzuki Ritz
1. Which occasion was commemorated by this Google Doodle?
Ans.: Rabindranath Tagore’s Birthday- 6th May.
2. Who is she and why was she in the “news”?
Ans.: Roxana Saberi, the American Journalist who was caught by Iranian authorities on espionage charges and later released.
3. Identify the gentleman, in the news for an infamous reason.
Ans.: Richard Gasquet, the tennis star for doping.
4. Who is this lady, and what did she start?
Ans.: Anna Jarvis, she started the concept of Mother’s Day.
5. Identify the man in the picture and the role that he performs.
Ans.: Ben Southall, selected for ” The Best Job in the World”.
6. Who is this man, he has been in the thick of things of late?
Ans.: Azam Khan,ex-general secretary of Samajwadi party was in the news for his tussles with Jayaprada’s candidature from Rampur and Amar Singh.
7. Known as Splash, how would we know this in coming days?
Ans.: Suzuki Ritz
The Week That Was #19 May 6, 2009Posted by Gyaniz in TWTW-The Week that Was.
Tags: Air Works, Air Works technician, Anil Ambani, Anil Ambani's Helicopter, Anjaan Raj, APJ Abdul Kalam, Best Job in the World, Bharat Borge, Bofors, Bofors Scam, ENI group, Hoover Dam, Hoover Medal, Nepal, Nepal Army Chief of Staff, Ottavio Quattarochi, Prachanda, RJ Anjaan Raj, Rookmangud Katawal, Snamprogetti, Swine Flu, Symptoms of Swine Flu, Vodafone, Vodafone's Zoozoos, Win Chaddha, Zoozoos
1. What is being highlighted here?
Ans.: Symptoms of Swine Flu.
Ans.: Hoover Medal. APJ Abdul Kalam has been chosen as the first asian recipient for the award for his outstanding public service. In the picture, Hoover Dam.
3. Who am I and why am I in the news?
Ans.: Nepal Army Chief of Staff Rookmangud Katawal, who was sacked by Prime Minister Prachanda, and reinstated by the President, which later led to the PM’s resignation.
4. Identify the gentleman and which illustrious list is he a part of?
Ans.: RJ Anjaan Raj, lone Indian contestant in the final lineup for the “Best Job in the World”.
5. Who is he and why was he in the news.
Ans.: Air Works technician Bharat Borge, who was in the news for the sabotage of Anil Ambani’s helicopter.
Ans.: Bofors Scam, in the picture Win Chaddha and ENI group firm- Snamprogetti which was represented by Ottavio Quattarochi.
7. How do we better know these characters?
Ans.: Vodafone’s Zoozoos.
The Week That Was #16 April 16, 2009Posted by Gyaniz in TWTW-The Week that Was.
Tags: Abdul Ghani Lone, Air Deccan, Azlan Shah Hockey Cup, Bangalore, Baramulla, Buddhism, Colors, Colors channel, Falun Dafa, G R Gopinath, Gandhinagar, Gujarat, Hina Sahab, Hockey, Hurriyat, Indian Hockey Team, Kashmir, Kite, Li Hongzhi, LK Advani, Mallika Sarabhai, Mohammad Shahbuddin, RJD, Sajjad Lone, Sandeep Singh, Siwan, Star Plus, Taoism
Q1. Against who is the lady in the picture contesting the Assembly Polls?
Ans.: Mallika Sarabhai the renowned classical dancer is contesting against LK Advani from Gandhinagar, Gujarat.
Q2. For who is this lady fighting the assembly elections?
Ans.: Hina Sahab, wife of Mohd. Shahbuddin is contesting the elections on an RJD ticket from Siwan.
Q3. Who am I and from where i will be trying my luck in this election?
Ans.: Sajjad Lone, son of Hurriyat leader Abdul Ghani Lone is contesting the elections from Baramulla constituency of North Kashmir.
Q4. Put funda about his happening last week and why is he here.
Ans.: Capt G R Gopinath, of Air Deccan fame is up in the elections as an independent candidate from Bangalore South with the Kite as his election symbol.
Q5. What’s happening here?
Ans.: Falun Dafa, is a mix of traditional Chinese calisthenics and doctrines drawn from Buddhism, Taoism and the ideas of its founder, Li Hongzhi.
Q6. Why was this channel in news recently?
Ans.: The TRP of Colors channel went past that of Star Plus.
Q7. Why was he in the sports news?
Ans.: Sandeep Singh, captain of the Indian Hockey Team that won the Azlan Shah Hockey Cup.
The Week That Was #15 April 10, 2009Posted by Gyaniz in TWTW-The Week that Was.
Tags: April fools day, Balenciaga, BBC, Flutter, G-20 countries, Hulk Hogan, Johnny Depp, Mr.T, NATO, NATO Summit, Posh Spice, Sari silhouette, Scarlett Johansson, Spaghetti Tree, Spongebob squarepants, Twitter, Wrestlemania, WWE
1. What was this creation by BBC called, and to comemorate what day?
Ans.: April fools day-The Spaghetti Tree spoof carried out by BBC in 1957.
2. From the world of Fashion, Identify the collection and Indian connection?
Ans.: Balenciaga 2009- Sari silhouette collection.
3. Connect the 3 to the world of cartoons.
Ans.: Spongebob squarepants, after Johnny Depp and Scarlett Johansson, it would be Posh Spice who is all set to make a cameo appearance.
4. Identify what event’s first celebration is this, now an annual event?
Ans.: The First Wrestlemania, the event celebrated its 25th edition last week. Seen here are the winners of the 1st edition- Mr.T and Hulk Hogan.
5. What the deep blue colour show?
Ans.: G-20 countries.
6. Logo of which next (may be) big thing ?
Ans.: Flutter, the next big thing after Twitter.
Ans.: NATO Summit Dinner Ceremony.
The Week That Was #14 April 2, 2009Posted by Gyaniz in TWTW-The Week that Was.
Tags: Aishwariya Rai, Ajmal Kasab, Anjali Waghmare, Anu Tandon, Barbie All Doll'd up Show, Barbie Show, Brawn F1 team, Congress, Corporation Bank, Fashion week, General Motors, Honda, Katrina Kaif, LIC, LIC credit cards, PIL, PIL against Sanjay Dutt, Rick Wagoner, Ross Brawn, Salman khan, Sandeep Pandey, Sanjay Dutt, Unnao
1. Who is he from the world of motorsport, and his creation’s claim to fame?
Ans.: Ross Brawn of Brawn F1 team which he bought from Honda. In its inaugral race the team secured the first two podium finishes.
2. Who is she from the world of politics, and who brought her into the news last week?
Ans.: Anu Tandon, Congress Candidate from Unnao. Salman khan campaigned for her.
3. Who is this business stalwart?
Ans.: Rick Wagoner, ex-CEO of General Motors.
4. Why were the 2 beauties in the news together linking them to an iconic entity.
Ans.: Both Aishwariya and Katrina were in the news linking them Barbie Show at the Fashion week, in the end it was katrina who did the Barbie All Doll’d up Show.
5. Who is she and what controversy surrounds her.
Ans.: Anjali Waghmare, she has taken up the responsibility to represent Ajmal Kasab in his trial.
6. What reason brought these two business entities together?
Ans.: LIC and Corporation Bank have come together to launch LIC credit cards.
7. Who is he, and whose downfall did he bring about?
Ans.: Sandeep Pandey, whose PIL against Sanjay Dutt led to the latter’s disqualification to contest elections.
The Week That Was #Nano March 25, 2009Posted by Gyaniz in TWTW-The Week that Was.
Tags: ABN Amro, Anna University, Anusat, Captain of the Indian Women's Cricket team, Chatur Singh Two Stars, General Elections, Hamish Rosser, Indian Women's Cricket team, ISRO, Jackiey Budden, Jade Goody, Jarrod Taylor, Jhulan Goswami, Meera Sanyal, Mohan Bhagwat, Mother of Jade Goody, Nano, Peoples Car, pin up girl Daisy, Ratan Tata, Richie Harkham, RSS, Sanjay Dutt, Skinny Blonde Beer, Suresh Menon, World cup, world's first satellite by students
This edition is dedicated to the Peoples Car:
“The world said no, we said Nano”-Ratan Tata
1. Identify the Lady in the picture.
Ans.: Jackiey Budden, Mother of Jade Goody.
2. Identify the duo.
Ans.: Sanjay Dutt and Suresh Menon in a still from forthcoming Chatur Singh Two Stars.
3. Who is she, and why was she in the news lately.
Ans.: Meera Sanyal, ABN Amro chief presently on a sabbatical to contest the General Elections.
4. What first in the world of technology.
Ans.: Anusat, the world’s first satellite by students to be launched by ISRO developed by Anna University.
5. Who is she and her claim to fame.
Ans.: Jhulan Goswami, Captain of the Indian Women’s Cricket team which came 3rd at the World cup.
6. Why was this in the news and what innovation have the makers done.
Ans.: Skinny Blonde Beer, launched by Hamish Rosser, Richie Harkham and Jarrod Taylor of Australia. The pin up girl Daisy undresses on the label as the beer level goes down in the bottle.
7. I recently succeeded someone, who am I & what role did i take up?
Ans.: Mohan Bhagwat, the new head of RSS.
The Week That Was #12 March 18, 2009Posted by Gyaniz in TWTW-The Week that Was.
Tags: 10 Janpath, Australia, BPL Mobile, Canadian MP, Congress, Cricket, England, ICC Women World Cup, Indian Air Force One, indian ambassador to the United States of America, Kyon Kis Liye, Loop Mobile, Meera Shankar, Nagma, Ruby Dhalla, Sonia Gandhi, Varun Gandhi
1. Identify the event from the logo.
Ans.: ICC Women’s World Cup Cricket held in Australia won by England.
2. Whose new entity is this ?
Ans.: BPL Mobile is now rechristened as Loop Mobile.
3. Who is she and what new role has she been appointed to?
Ans.: Meera Shankar the next ambassador to the United States of America.
4. Who, where and why?
Ans.: Nagma at 10, Janpath-Sonia Gandhi’s residence for an election ticket as a Congress (I) candidate.
5. Identify the young boy in the picture who is in the news lately.
Ans.: Varun Gandhi for his inflammatory speeches.
6. Who is she, and what controversy was she in the news for?
Ans.: Ruby Dhalla, Canadian MP in controversy for a film “Kyon Kis Liye” in which she has been portrayed in some steamy scenes which she has denied.
7. Come April 1,2009, we will see this flying the Indian skies. What is this?
Ans.: The Indian Air Force One.
The Week That Was #11 March 13, 2009Posted by Gyaniz in TWTW-The Week that Was.
Tags: Ajit Jain, Amar Chitra Katha, American Idol, Anoop Desai, AS Murthy, Berkshire Hathaway, Indian Air Force, Mahatma Gandhi, Mahatma Gandhi memorabilia, MiG 23-Bn, NaryanaMurthy, Sanjay Malakar, Satyam, Satyam CEO, Siddharth Dhanvant Shanghvi, The Lost Flamingoes of Bombay, Vijay Mallya, Warren Buffett
1. Put fundaez, about his new role that he took upon last week.
Ans.: NaryanaMurthy will be seen as a hero in the Amar Chitra Katha series.
2. Identify the book and the writer.
Ans.: The Lost Flamingoes of Bombay by Siddharth Dhanvant Shanghvi.
3. Who is this gentleman and what reins has he taken over?
Ans.: AS Murthy, taken over as the new Satyam CEO.
4. Why was this series of fighter jets in the news lately.
Ans.: MiG 23-Bn, recently retired by the Indian Air Force after 3 decades.
5. Who is he, doing the rounds in the circles of music?
Ans.: Anoop “Dawg” Desai, he is the 2nd PIO on American Idol after Sanjay Malakar’s success last year.
6. A whole lot of Hue and Cry about these, whose memorabilia & the present owner?
Ans.: Mahatma Gandhi’s memorabilia bought by Vijay Mallya.
7. Considered to be the successor of this great organization, identify the man in the picture and the organization he is supposed to head soon.
Ans.: Ajit Jain of Berkshire Hathaway, tipped to succeed Warren Buffett.